Craving for something cheesy? Try this easy and hassle-free recipe and enjoy!
This homemade version is so worth the little bit of extra effort. Oh and feel free to add bacon bits for more flavor.
I altered the recipe a bit to add milk, use reduced-fat (not fat free) ingredients and eliminated the bread crumb topping. (That is my personal preference, but if you like a crunchy topping on your mac, mix 1/4 c. melted butter with 1 c. bread or cracker crumbs and sprinkle over the top before baking.)
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
12 ounces of macaroni or any of your choice of bite-sized pasta
8 ounces of reduced-fat sour cream or just plain yogurt
16 ounces of low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
8 ounces of 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
And some pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta, drain and set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Spray a 1-1/2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Stir the pasta with your cheese mixture, then spread into the casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until hot and bubbly.
- Stir together before serving to evenly distribute the cheese sauce.
I hope your family enjoys this simple recipe too!