This can be a fantastic example for children to show cause and effect as well as chain reactions.
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Instant Rice (non-instant rice is too dense for this project)
- Clear Jar
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Fill the Clear Jar 3/4 Way Full Of Water. If desired, mix in food coloring.
- Add in 1 TBS of Baking Soda and Stir. Mix completely.
- 1/4 Cup Of Uncooked Rice. Note that instant rice is needed for this project! Non-instant rice is too dense and won’t result in a “dancing” reaction.
- Add in 1-2 TBS of White Vinegar.
A reaction can occur with just baking soda and vinegar, but when the other ingredients are added a different reaction occurs.
This science experiment would be excellent in a preschool or lower level elementary classroom setting or at home. Children will enjoy the dancing of the rice. Maybe even turn on some music and tell kids to dance like the rice.