- Silk Scarves (I purchased 6 30″ square scarves from Darma Trading Co.)
- Based on the colors you want, assemble your Kool-Aid packs. You can reference the handy chart at the bottom of this post to determine which color combinations you want.
- Place silk scarves in a pot of hot water with 2 tablespoons vinegar for 30 minutes to help the fibers absorb the colors. Remove one scarf at a time to dye.
3a. Stove Method: In a separate pot, pour 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and Kool-Aid packs. Dissolve thoroughly over low heat.
3b. Microwave Method: In a glass bowl, pour 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and Kool-Aid packs. Dissolve thoroughly.
4a. Stove Method: Place silk scarf into pot and stir to disperse dye. Continue stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, making sure the scarf is absorbing the color evenly.
4b. Microwave Method: Place the scarf in the glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for three minutes and allow to sit for three more.
- Allow scarf to cool. Over a colander, begin to rinse/wring your scarf until water runs clear.
- Set your scarves to dry in the sun while you endlessly try to keep your kids away from them! 😀
Source: Vanessa Brady
Assembled in a box with a pretty little card, Kool-Aid Dyed Playsilks make wonderful gifts! And in case you’re wondering what kids do with playsilks…