LEMON VOLCANO INGREDIENTS:
2 Lemons per volcano
Step by Step:
- Place your lemon on a paper plate and have an Adult cut off both ends of the lemon. The rest can be done by the preschooler!
- Have the preschooler take the butter knife into one end of the lemon and loosen the lemon.
- Next, let your preschooler choose what color/s she wants to use and drop 4-6 drops of food coloring on the top of the lemon.
- Let the preschooler sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on top of the lemon and your volcano will begin erupting!
- Lastly, squeeze the cut ends (bottom/top that the adult cut off) of the lemon on top of the baking soda and now your reaction will really take place and begin to bubble and erupt even more!
- If you agitate the juice it will create a bit more frothy fun too!
TIP: Add in some dish soap to help the frothy bubbles stay around a bit longer! Tip from Babble Dabble Do!
HOW DOES THE LEMON VOLCANO WORK?
The Science Behind Lemon Volcanoes. Lemon juice contains citric acid which when mixed with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) reacts to form carbon dioxide and sodium citrate, which causes the liquid to fizz and bubble.
A science experiment with lemons is always fun and through the baking soda and lemon juice you’ve created a volcano.